Monday, July 6, 2009

Summit BLUE!



I just got back a few days ago from Summit BLUE, and let me tell you, it was AMAZING. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that this was my favorite Unicamp session I've been too thusfar out of my 3 years of doing camp. And what makes that even more crazy is that I didn't know most of the counselors until the day before camp started, since I floated into the session. Despite that though, I felt really close to most of the counselors by the end of the week; they were all so nice and accepting, and I felt really comfortable around them even though I had only known them for a few days. My CO-counselors were also great - Slim Jim, who I had known from before, and Scissor Kicks, who I basically met at camp. I honestly didn't know how it was going to be working with them, but it turned out really great.

What really made this session amazing, though, was the kids. Well, I shouldn't really say kids, since they were all high-schoolers. But it was seriously the easiest time I've had taking care of a unit. My cabin was HILARIOUS - they always made me laugh, either with them or at them. Mostly at them. For example:

Slim Jim: "Dude you have a milk mustache."
Lupio: "Where?"
Slim Jim: A milk MUSTACHE
Lupio: I know I know, WHERE?
-_-

Censored (commenting on Lupio): Dude you suck at telling stories. You're like 'So I walked into the store, and yea.'

Lio (commenting on a girl): She doesn't turn me down, she turns me on.

Besides being funny though, they're all really good kids, and I feel like they were able to get a lot of the leadership programming we had for them throughout the week. I've already talked to most of them after the week at camp, and I really hope to stay in contact with them.

In addition to having a great cabin of my own, we were fortunate enough to be paired up with Cabin 4 (girls unit) for a lot of our activities. Collectively, we were known as the Fo Shizzle Fo Sho, and were the self-proclaimed best cabin pair on the campsite. We did our talent show skit together, climbed through spider webs together, and when it came time for each unit to do a skit at Closing Campfire, we independently came up with songs for each other!

All in all, a great week at camp. Usually I have some point in the week where I hit a low, but this week I had no lows, just relative levels of high. Unfortunately 2 of my campers had fevers on the last day, and a lot of counselors/campers ended getting sick as well, including myself. I call it the Blue Fever. But it was definitely worth it spending a week with these kids.


2 comments:

  1. Aww looks like you had lots of fun! too bad I didn't turn in my Unicamp app in time.. I'm just wasting away doing nothing. So what's next for your summer plans?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to do it, but it costs moolah.... hard to find moolah. I love camping!

    ReplyDelete